Change of Name on Utah Car Registration

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The Utah DMV recommends that you change the name on your UT car registration as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Changing the Name on Your Registration

If you live in Utah and need to change your name, the state has implemented various requirements. You must be age 18 or older, and you must live at least one year in the county where the change petition is filed. You cannot change your name in the midst of a lawsuit, or if you are on probation or parole. You are also barred from changing your name if the intent is to avoid creditors, fines or serving a criminal sentence. Once you have successfully change your name with the Social Security Administration, you will need to provide certified documentation of the change to the Division of Motor Vehicles to apply for a new license.